I originally watched ‘FMA: B’ for the first time in early 2011, several months after it finished airing. I though the series was pretty good. But, as it turns out, it’s far better than I remembered. I really didn’t give the series enough credit the first time around.
When I originally watched it, it was in 480p and Japanese. This second time around, I watched it on Chrunchyroll in dub format and glorious 1080p. Now, the Japanese is great… but when the dub is on the same level, it – to me – is better simply because you can focus more on the show and less on the subs.
I am very happy to report, that ‘FMA: B’ is now my fourth favorite anime… when it used to be number 30-something. I missed quite a few intricacies, points of quality, and story-beats that I now admire about this show.
Here they are (spoiler free):
- Almost every character (and there are quite a few) is very well fleshed out.
- The story flows extremely smoothly and has many brilliant twists and turns.
- The animation, action, music and voice acting (on both sub and dub) is great.
- The finale is one of the best of any show I’ve seen.
- You’ll get the feels in quite a few places.
- Doesn’t have a bad episode, even the early ones that set up the world are great.
I’m quite happy that I realized how great this anime actually is. My old 16 year old self didn’t quite get it. I’m glad I rectified that.